Coombs & Dunlap, LLP is Napa Valley’s oldest law firm, established in 1876.
Coombs & Dunlap was founded by Frank Coombs, son of pioneer Nathan Coombs who came to California over the Oregon Trail and was instrumental in laying out the City of Napa in 1847. Frank’s son, Nathan Coombs, and great-nephews Frank and John Dunlap, later joined the firm as partners.
Frank Coombs established the firm’s long tradition of public service. He was District Attorney for the County of Napa, served in the California Legislature (as did son Nathan and nephew John Dunlap) and United States Congress, and was a United States Minister to Japan. Since our founding, five Coombs & Dunlap partners have been appointed as Napa County Superior Court Judges. Our attorneys have acted as city attorneys throughout Napa County, and served on municipal commissions, councils and Board of Supervisors.
Our Napa office is in the Theodore Parker House, a designated historic landmark. In 1977 our firm opened a second office in St. Helena to better serve our Up Valley clients.
Our roots are deep in the Valley, our continuity is seamless and our commitment to the future is strong. We continue to bring new associates and partners into the firm to grow our practice and ensure the best possible service to our clients.